Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||383 pages ; 25 cm|
"In 1938, Ruby, Helen and Grace, three girls from very different backgrounds, find themselves competing at the same audition for showgirl roles at San Francisco's exclusive "Oriental" nightclub, the Forbidden City. Grace, an American-born Chinese girl has fled the Midwest and an abusive father. Helen is from a Chinese family who have deep roots in San Francisco's Chinatown. And, as both her friends know, Ruby is Japanese passing as Chinese. At times their differences are pronounced, but the girls grow to depend on one another in order to fulfill their individual dreams. Then, everything changes in a heartbeat with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Suddenly the government is sending innocent Japanese to internment camps under suspicion, and Ruby is one of them. But which of her friends betrayed her?"--
- Female friendship -- Fiction.
- Chinese American women -- Fiction.
- Japanese American women -- Fiction.
- Betrayal -- Fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- California -- Fiction.
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.) -- Fiction.
- FICTION -- Literary.
- FICTION -- Historical.
- FICTION -- Sagas.
- Amerikanisches Englisch
- Chinese American women.
- Female friendship.
- Japanese American women.
- California -- San Francisco -- Chinatown.
- Competition (Psychology) -- Fiction.
- Secrets -- Fiction.
- Friendship -- Fiction.
- FICTION / Sagas.
- FICTION / Literary.
User lists with this item (10)
- Galentine's Day(15 items)
by Chisato updated 2017-02-13
- Library Reads(229 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2016-08-08
- "P" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Language and Literature(479 items)
by LamsonFitz updated 2016-04-05
- Things to Check Out(8 items)
by CLWSL00219665D updated 2016-03-02
- A Summer Reading List 2015(40 items)
by cmcdowell updated 2016-03-01