Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||383 pages ; 25 cm|
"In 1938, Ruby, Helen and Grace, three girls from very different backgrounds, find themselves competing at the same audition for showgirl roles at San Francisco's exclusive "Oriental" nightclub, the Forbidden City. Grace, an American-born Chinese girl has fled the Midwest and an abusive father. Helen is from a Chinese family who have deep roots in San Francisco's Chinatown. And, as both her friends know, Ruby is Japanese passing as Chinese. At times their differences are pronounced, but the girls grow to depend on one another in order to fulfill their individual dreams. Then, everything changes in a heartbeat with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Suddenly the government is sending innocent Japanese to internment camps under suspicion, and Ruby is one of them. But which of her friends betrayed her?"--
- Female friendship -- Fiction.
- Chinese American women -- Fiction.
- Japanese American women -- Fiction.
- Betrayal -- Fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- California -- Fiction.
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.) -- Fiction.
- FICTION / Literary.
- FICTION / Historical.
- FICTION / Sagas.
- Amerikanisches Englisch.
- Chinese American women.
- Female friendship.
- Japanese American women.
- California -- San Francisco -- Chinatown.
User lists with this item (6)
- "P" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Language and Literature(440 items)
by LamsonFitz updated about 3 weeks ago
- 2014 - New Fiction Titles (January 6- November 17)(500 items)
by nblibrary updated 2014-11-20
- New Books September 2014--VU Library(23 items)
by maawilson updated 2014-10-01
- Library Reads(70 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2015-01-23
- Most popular items for June 2014(500 items)
by drewwilson updated 2014-07-01
- FICTION - SUMMER 2014 - DO NOT USE (22 items)
by firstname.lastname@example.org updated 2014-11-07